10.29.2013

ACTFL proficiency standards in action :: my "proficiency wall"

I thought I'd pop in and share an idea I was telling my colleagues about recently at a district PD day that we had.  We have been talking a lot in Boulder Valley about pushing kids to meet the proficiency standards, and evaluating students on the standards, and creating rocking "IPA's" (Integrative Performance Assessments).

I went through the ACTFL standards and pulled out some meaningful phrases to me.  I took those, put them into a google doc, and printed them out.  I transferred them to a space above my door so that when we are talking about what we expect students to do, and where we want them to go in their language ability, I have something to point to (can you tell that I'm a visual learner?).


I'm really glad I did this this year, and I think that next year in August I'll revamp it a bit.  First, the font is a little small to read ... second, I'd like to find a larger space in my classroom so I could perhaps give more examples.  But in the meanwhile, it's a step in the right direction!

Also, as much as I'd love to take credit for this idea, I believe I first say it on the Creative Language Class blog (... love that blog so much).  I pinned her idea last year then referred to it in August this year.   Feel free to access my google doc if you'd like to create your own ... then come back and let me know how it went!    Ugh.  I believe this was deleted.  Please let me know if you'd like me to try to retrieve it - and if I ever find it I'll share it with you!






No comments:

Post a Comment